Industry: Maritime Transportation
Reporting to: CEO
Location: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Our client is a leading Global Port Agency committed to delivering exceptional solutions in the maritime sector. Their primary focus is to “Save Time, Save Money and Reduce Risk” for Charterers, Owners, Operators, and Managers involved in the global movement of dry, liquid, and gas commodities. Our client prides themselves in joining the dots between load ports and discharge ports in more than 90 countries worldwide to ensure the most efficient execution of their client’s cargo, vessel or crew, with an emphasis on Safety, Compliance and Environmental Impact. They deal with some of the largest mining companies, trading houses, oil majors, ship owners and ship managers in the world. Their headquarters is located in Dubai and they have various offices located around the world including: The United States, Panama, Shanghai and Singapore. They are currently embarking on an exciting new venture of expanding their business and services to The Netherlands. This expansion includes opening up a brand new office in Rotterdam which will serve as the central hub for their clients and business in the ARA/Europe region.
The General Manager will have the ability and vision of business to set up effective long-term strategies that provide direction to navigate the total start up and growth of the ARA office and team for our clients. This role is looking for someone hands on, ambitious, entrepreneurial and multi-faceted in the maritime industry.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of our clients requirements, ensuring efficient and timely agency services, adherence to safety standards, and exceptional service to their clients is being carried out.
- Completion, filing and reporting of all required business forms, licenses and other legal documents required in establishment and conduct of the business entity.
- Responsible for ensuring daily operations are carried out seamlessly and to Customers satisfaction.
- Consistently monitor business performance of our client against budget/plan and ensures that appropriate steps are taken to correct unsatisfactory performance.
- Formulate and implement appropriate business strategies and plans which enable our client to achieve company objectives and growth.
- Interface between headquarters in Dubai and Rotterdam office to ensure that corporate policies are uniformly understood and properly implemented and that operations are being executed in accordance with policies at all times.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with principals, sub-agents, local authorities and other related entities pertaining to all vessel operational requirements.
- Lead and support the team in identifying and developing new market segments, creating/tapping new opportunities and developing relationships with Key customers.
- Negotiate and appoint vendors/sub-agents on our clients behalf and manage their performance to ensure cost-effectiveness and delivery of services.
- Develop and manage budgets, financial forecasts, and cost-control measures to maximize profitability while maintaining service quality.
- Ensure compliance with relevant maritime laws, regulations, and safety standards.
- Carry out managerial responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and Dutch laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Investigate customer complaints and respond promptly and resolutely.
- Participate in building company’s reputation in the industry.
- Create an environment that inspires and accomplishes the highest level of team and individual performance.
Here’s what you bring:
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in shipping/maritime management/shipping related majors.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in maritime industry.
- Familiar with port agency and vessel operations.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in leadership.
- Possess a good industry reputation, professional ethics, active, open minded with good communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills, independent thinking, proven organizational and planning abilities, and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop strategic relationships and work independently.
- Able to travel regionally and Internationally when necessary for the role (mainly in ARA/Europe region)
- Business level Dutch and English: written and spoken.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in state of residence.
What do they offer you?
- A competitive salary and bonus program.
- 20 vacation days.
- An entrepreneurial opportunity to build up our clients ARA business from almost scratch.
- Ability to develop yourself and a team.